Overview

Mission

At 1054 House we are devoted to efficient, modern design. 

This overarching ethic marries mid 20th century visual design inspiration with 21st century efficient systems design concern.

  • Spacial Efficiency:  driven by the maximum gain from multi-use, minimal spaces. 
  • Materials and Building Practices:  reduce materials consumption while increasing enclosure efficiency.
  • Energy Use:  strive to reduce our resource burden at each iteration.
  • Time and Budget:  maintain a practical budget through personal involvement and attention to detail.

 

2nd Story Addition

1054 House South West CornerThe scope of the current project is a second story addition to an existing single family residence.  The description of the addition follows.

The modest, 630 sqft enclosed space includes:  two bedrooms ( one a master ), a shared bathroom with a second master entry, and a common mixing room.  The enclosed space covers 70% of the width of the building, aligned to the east fa├žade.  The remaining west 30% of the ground floor is covered from front to rear by:  250 sqft of extensive green roof, the staircase enclosure, and a covered 60 sqft deck off the master bedroom.  The greenroof is cantilevered four feet to the south and west to provide coverage for two porches and a walkway, and to increase the water capture capacity. 

A sip roof system, covered by standing seam steel, tops the livable space.  550 sqft of the roof is pitched with a southern exposure, to allow for the addition of solar hot water and future photovoltaic.  The solar hot water will be utilized for domestic hot water and to help offset the heat load of the livable space through a radiant hydronic in-floor heating system.

The existing house includes a steel spiral staircase connecting the basement to the main floor.  This compact, five foot diameter staircase will be extended vertically into the new space.  Externally, the staircase volume will be exposed and covered with rusty corrugated metal, visually connecting the three floors together. A spiral staircase alone does not afford the ability to move large items vertically.  To that end, a rotating jib crane with an eight foot boom and 500 lb load capacity has been added to the rear deck.  The crane can be rotated over the west walkway, lifting items from the ground to second floor and through the door that connects the deck to the master bedroom.

The common room connects all spaces of the second story.  This central volume incorporates a ceiling that reaches nearly fifteen feet and is fed natural light through a bank of three clerestory windows to the north.  The west two windows of this space overlook the greenroof, providing a connection between this interior space and the added exterior green space. 

The common bathroom incorporates a wall-hung low-flow toilet with in-wall tank, repeating the theme from the main floor's bathroom.  This tank, and the first floor toilet's in-wall tank, are fed through a whole-house greywater system that captures waste from the bathrooms' sinks and showers.  Another repeated theme between the two floor's bathrooms is the 1950's era original Crane Drexel sink ( from the Criterion Collection ) originally designed by industrial designer Henry Dryfuss.  A 5'x34" walk-in shower completes the space and is naturally illuminated by a full-height acrylic block window.

The south bedroom is designed with flexibility of configuration in mind.  The two wardrobe/storage units can migrate around the perimeter to help define the space.  Potential bed configurations are a twin-sized bunk unit, two doubles, or one queen.